Thursday 11 October 2012

3D Printing My First Blog Entry

6 weeks ago I somehow got interested then fascinated by the whole concept of being able to print something out in 3 dimensions.  From that point on I researched the Web to find out more.  It wasn't too long before I found out that 3D printing is massive and that it really is available to the ordinary folk to do at home.  This led me to looking for the best way forward in terms actually obtaining one for myself.  That in turn led me to realising that I could buy one in kit form and build it myself!

The obvious place for me I thought would be where I could find the most support as I was sure that it would not be easy.  This is where I learnt about reprap 3d printers and thier online community.  So 3 weeks ago I ordered a RepRapPro Mendel printer in kit form for about £500.  This arrived at my work place today.  Tonight i'm taking it home to check out the contents.  Not sure if I'll start building it tonight, but thought it wise to ensure that I have all the parts I need.  I must say that the RepRap people kept me fully informed about the delivery of my printer.  There was a slight delay as they were waiting on some components to complete my kit.

Really though,  this delay was good, in that it gave me time to do more research.   I have a basic knowledge of electronics from college in my younger days and I like to think that I have an engineering mind.  I relearnt OHM's law, this was interesting because you can actually download simple electronics course via ITunesYou.  So, have done that.  Also as I know that an Arduino board is used with this printer I ordered an Arduino Started Kit, that teaches a noob simple electronics with LED's Motors Sensor and the like.  There is a tool list you require to build, most of which I had from normal DIY bits and pieces that collected over the years.  I've gone out bought the items that I didn't have.  Now I'm prepared.

It's going to be a long journey.  There will be lots of things that will go wrong.  Frustration will befall me.  I will need to stop playing games and dedicate my spare time as and when I can.  Family, come first of course, but I'm hoping they will allow me to carry out my new hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment